Company Entering 10th year of ISO 14001 Environmental Management System Certification
BENNINGTON, NEW HAMPSHIRE (December 7, 2015) – Monadnock Paper Mills, Inc., manufacturer of technical specialty and premium printing and packaging papers, today shared highlights from its 2015 efforts to reduce environmental impacts, including the results of two recent third-party audits.
Monadnock has achieved re-certification for compliance with ISO14001:2004, the leading international standard for environmental management systems (EMS). SGS Group, a leader in third-party registration, recently completed a comprehensive independent audit of Monadnock’s Bennington, New Hampshire facility. Monadnock successfully met the ISO14001 EMS requirements and demonstrated the processes to maintain that system and its commitment to continuous improvement.
Further, Monadnock recently achieved re-certification for compliance with Forest Stewardship Council Chain of Custody standards. Rainforest Alliance completed their third-party independent audit and found that Monadnock satisfied the requirements for tracking and documenting FSC fiber from suppliers, through its production facility and delivery to its customers.
Additional highlights from the past year include the following:
• Impact reduction projects in 2015 yielding an estimated reduction of 620,000 kWh of electricity through LED light retrofitting and manufacturing equipment efficiency improvements.
• An estimated increase of 750,000 kWh in renewable energy generation will be realized in 2016 from its on-site, low-impact, hydroelectric generation facilities as a result of turbine upgrades and the installation of automated flow controls.
• Continued commitment to EPA SmartWay Transport Partnership with 85% of its contracted carriers adhering to SmartWay principles.
• Now an Environmental Paper Network Power User (papercalculator.org). Supporting the EPN ensures that its Paper Calculator continues to operate as a free resource that is transparent, independent, and communicates the benefits of environmentally preferable paper choices.
• Expanded the EnviPortfolio® offering of products to replace PVC, styrene and other plastics with renewable fiber-based alternatives.
“It is rewarding to once again receive third-party validation of our hard work and environmental impact reductions,” said Monadnock Chairman and CEO Richard Verney. “There is always more work to be done. We are committed to sustainable innovation and remaining ahead of this curve.”
The ongoing success of Monadnock’s sustainability initiatives is a company-wide effort fully supported by Monadnock’s executive management and spearheaded by the “Green Team”. Comprised of members from across all functional areas of the company, the team identifies opportunities for environmental impact reductions and shares the results across the company to promote transparency and awareness.
Specifying PCW recycled content paper made carbon neutral with 100% renewable electricity results in the following impact reductions:
Pounds of solid waste
million BTUs of energy
Pounds of wood saved
Net pounds of GHG CO2
Gallons of wastewater
Pounds of carbon emissions
Please fill out the information below and click Generate Certificate to create your savings certificate.